A student at Flores Elementary threatened a school shooting during an altercation with another student on Wednesday, Nov. 30.
School officials, in an email to families, said the threat was determined not to be credible.
“At no time today was there any immediate danger to students or staff. The procedures we have in place allowed us to handle this situation with little disruption to the other students in the building, most of who were unaware that threat had been made,” reads the email.
Anne Marie Espinoza, executive director of marketing and communications for Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District, did not respond to the newspaper’s request for further information, such as who investigated the incident and the consequences for the student who made the threat.
Uvalde Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Donald Page said the department, “started looking into it, until we made contact with the school and the school informed us that they took care of it.”
Page said the incident was handled by the school and the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Flores Elementary serves fifth- and sixth-grade students, as well as fourth-graders who were at Robb Elementary on May 24, 2022.
The campus is under the leadership of Principal Bryan Perez.
This is the second threat of a school shooting at UCISD in the past six weeks. There was a shooting threat made Oct. 17, via social media, against a Uvalde High School student. That threat resulted in the arrest of a 16-year-old UHS student.